Autism Services

What is Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)?

An ABA program is a teaching approach that involves breaking skills down into small, easy-to-learn steps. Praise and other positive rewards are used to motivate the child, while constant data collection shows the therapist when to move on to the next step. ABA is widely recognized as the single most effective treatment for children with autism spectrum disorder and the only treatment shown to lead to substantial, lasting improvements in the lives of individuals with autism.

What is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA)?

A BCBA or Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst (BCaBA) is a person who has specific training in ABA. In Virginia, Behavior Analysts are required to be licensed to practice ABA therapy. BCBAs have either a Master’s degree in ABA or a post master’s certification in ABA, along with extensive supervision and experience. A BCaBA has similar training and experience, but is at the post Bachelor’s level and all services are supervised by a BCBA.

What is Early, Preventative, Screening, Diagnosis, Treatment (EPSDT)?

EPSDT is a service provided by Medicaid to ensure every child receives yearly physician screenings and is prescribed appropriate and necessary treatments. These treatments can include ABA therapy. Every child with Medicaid is eligible for these screenings.

What if I make too much money to qualify for Medicaid?

Your family may be above the Medicaid income threshold, but it is likely that your child is not. Children with disabilities may apply for Medicaid using their own income to qualify. As long as your child has a disability that meets Medicaid criteria and has no significant income, he or she will be able to undergo an assessment for Medicaid eligibility.

What insurance details should I know about?

  • ABA therapy is covered by Medicaid for children who are enrolled. Other insurances and private pay options are also available. Services are typically covered at 10-30 hours a week depending on the child’s needs. Because of the intense nature of this program, clients available for less than 10 hours a week of direct services may not be the best fit.
  • Private pay accepted. Many insurances will cover a major portion of this service.
  • Private pay accepted.

Community Based Mental Health

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Individuals who qualify for MHSB generally have a Mental Health diagnosis, have a history of hospitalization, and are on or have been prescribed medication. MHSB serves those individuals 21 and older.
  • Children and adolescents ages 4-21 at risk of being moved into an out-of-home placement. The family needs to meet a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 10 hours each week. On average, the counselor will meet with the child and the family 3-6 hours per week.
  • Any school age child is eligible for TDT, including pre school and Head Start programs in some areas.
  • Milepost 18 is an independent living program in an apartment setting for youth ages 17-21 with an emphasis on work and education. The average length of stay is 12-15 months. Program exclusions are recent suicidal ideations, fire-setting, criminal activity, and drug addictions.

What insurance details should I know about?

  • Certain health plans do cover MHSB. Be sure to ask your health care provider.
  • Accepts Medicaid. We do not take private insurance at this time. We do offer Outpatient services which accepts most major insurance plans.
  • Accepts Medicaid. We do not take private insurance at this time. We do offer Outpatient services which accepts most major insurance plans.
  • All students are CSA funded. Insurance is not accepted.

Educational Services

What is a one-to-one counselor or behavior aide?

Counselors/aides work under the supervision of the classroom teacher to provide one-to-one support to a child (ages 2-22). Staff members help implement behavioral and academic goals in adherence with the student’s Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP) and Individualized Education Plan (IEP).

What population do you serve and where?

Students with an IEP and significant behavioral concerns in both public and private schools.

How do I get this type of accommodation/service for my child?

Services are secured through your school system’s exceptional education department after the child has been observed by a behavior specialist and a behavior plan has not been successful due to significant behaviors or safety concerns.

How is this service funded?

Funding comes through the school locality or FAPT (Family Assessment and Planning Team).

Intellectual and Developmental Disability Services

How do I get a waiver?

Contact your local Community Services Board (CSB) and request a waiver screening. More information can be found on the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Services website.

What waivers do you accept?

We work with the Community Living Waiver (previously known as the Intellectual Disabilities Waiver), the Building Independence Waiver (previously known as the Day Support Waiver), and the Family and Individual Supports Waiver (previously known as the Developmental Disabilities Waiver).  Unfortunately, at this time, we do not work with EDCD waiver.

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Ages 18+. Individuals diagnosed as ID or DD.
  • Ages 18+. Individuals diagnosed as ID or DD.
  • Ages 6+. Individuals diagnosed as ID or DD.

Outpatient Therapy

What is the difference between an outpatient therapist, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist?

Psychologists provide psychological testing to diagnose mental health disorders and learning disabilities. Psychiatrists provide medical evaluations and prescribe medication to treat mental health disorders. Outpatient therapists provide counseling sessions to assist with managing the symptoms of mental health disorders, trauma, behavioral difficulties, interpersonal problems, and many other stressors.

What if I need to cancel my appointment? What is your practice’s attendance policy?

If you need to cancel your appointment, please provide 24 hours’ notice. If you do not attend or cancel 3 appointments without 24 hours’ notice, you will be discharged from Dominion Outpatient Services. This can mean no more refills of any medication and/or discontinuation of services. (If you cancel an appointment without providing 24 hours’ notice, you can be subjected to a $50.00 late cancellation fee.)

Will my doctor or outpatient therapist write a letter for me for school or court?

Clinical documentation (written by a doctor or licensed mental health provider) can be prepared for our clients at the discretion of our clinical personnel. ALL requested clinical documentation needed for our clients will be charged $20.00 per page and requires a minimum of 14 business days preparation time. (IE: letters for school, court, or attorneys). However, this does NOT include doctor’s notes for attending appointments at Dominion Outpatient Services.

How do I get a refill of my medication once it is prescribed?

Ages 4-65. We take private pay, sliding scale, Medicaid, and most private insurance.

What are the eligibility requirements?

Please have your pharmacy fax us a medication request. Request this one week before you run out of your medication. Refills require a minimum of 72 hours’ processing time.

Private Day School

How long are students typically enrolled at Dominion Academy?

There is no set amount of time for a student to participate in the program. Some students are successful right away and return to public school in a short period of time, others need longer. Progress is greatly helped by frequent contact between parents, the referring school division, and Dominion Academy.

Is there a summer program?

Yes, our Extended School Year (ESY) program must be approved by each student’s IEP team and currently runs for six weeks in the summer, five hours per day, four days per week. For the 2016-17 school year, the program will begin on 06/26/17 and end on 08/10/17.  There will be no classes on 7/3 or 7/4/17.

Will my high school aged child earn credit at Dominion Academy towards graduation?

Yes, all courses at Dominion Academy are aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning and students will be given credit for coursework completed while at Dominion Academy.

Does Dominion Academy provide transport to/from school?

Not at this time. Transportation to/from school is provided by the referring school division.

What are the eligibility requirements and tuition costs?

Tuition is typically paid by the local county that refers the student to Dominion Academy. Usually families will attend a meeting of the Family Assessment and Planning Team (FAPT) in their county of residence. Families and students are not charged any fees once the placement occurs unless the student intentionally damages school property or fails to complete an online course (online courses are paid for by the school, provided that the student completes the course).

Referrals should be received from the public school division where your child is registered to attend – contact the special education department of the school division for your child or contact your child’s IEP case manager to request an IEP meeting. The IEP team must make the recommendation for a Private Day School in order for the student to be referred to Dominion Academy at public expense. Parents can refer their child(ren) to the school at private expense. Dominion Academy can accept students on 504 plans or those who do not have an IEP; however, these students are typically not funded by the local school division and must register as private pay students.